What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

Randall Munroe is brilliant.

I know he would disagree with me on this matter. Randall considers himself a simple cartoonist/former NASA roboticist ( just think how cool his curriculum must be),but I have been following his work for long enough to be convinced that he is anything other than brilliant. And I don’t use this term loosely.

I’m not talking about his physics knowledge in particular, but mostly about his ability to pass the knowledge forward. It’s easy to understand, and it’s entertaining. I was enthralled to find out he wrote a book, and as the professional lazy person I’m proud to be, I’m only reviewing this now.

Anyway, I finally got my lazy ass to finish reading, and it’s exactly what I was expecting: It’s funny, it’s entertaining, and it’s brilliant. I’ve laughed out loud more times than I cared to count,specially at the “Weird and Worrying questions”. I've chosen a few of my favorite ones:

• What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90 percent the speed of light?

• Would it be possible to get your teeth to such a cold temperature that they would shatter upon drinking a hot cup of coffee?

• What if everyone actually had only one soul mate,a random person somewhere on the world?

• What if you strapped C4 to a boomerang?

I love you,Randall.

Sentence: Absolutely loved it.