My Heart & Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga

"Anyone who has actually been that sad can tell you that there's nothing beautiful or literary or mysterious about depression."

Before starting this review,let me say that books that deal with depression speak strongly to me. I've deal with this particular mental illness since I was 12 years old,a little pig tailed lover of books. Long years and many experiences taught me something that I always heard but never believed on: it does get better.

Recovery from depression is the main point in this book and I'm happy to say that it was handled very well. The main character,Aysel,doesn't brush it aside immediately like depression is a fancy acessory you can just throw away. She starts to move on towards happiness slowly,feeling more confident about herself and her life. It's also not portrayed as simply sadness. A mental ilness affects every prospect of your life,and that must be shown.

Another point I really enjoyed was Aysel's relationship with her family.It's tricky,complicated,just like a real life family is. Her mother and siblings aren't one dimensional at all,and I do wish we could have seen more of them.

Sadly,not everything is a light in the black hole.

One of the main points of the plot is the romance. And that is a shame,because it could have been handed better. Compared to the other plot points,the romantic relationship between the two main characters seemed rush and forced at some points. I didn't see the transition of their inicial distrust to something completely different. Out of nowhere,they fell in love. I would given this book more stars if the romance has been handed in a different manner. It might have even been better if it were cut off completely.

I know romance sells,but this time I don't know if that was worth it.

Another important thing: if you ever feel like the main character in this book,if you ever feel like you are close to take your life,remember that as long as you are alive hope exists. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem,and I know this from personal experience. Give your life another chance. Here is a big list of international suicide hotlines.

Sentence: Recommended for anyone looking for a good approach to depression with some extra references to physics and classical music. As long as you can look past the sloppy romance.