And Then There Were None By Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

“In the midst of life, we are in death.”

"First, there were ten – a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they’re unwilling to reveal – and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion".

And Then There Were None is the second book I’m cutting of my “Novels Everyone Should Read” list. Being it a thriller by the mother of mystery, I have to admit that I expect more. It’s a fairly simple concept,albeit well executed. The thing is: I expect to feel excitement from a Thriller. I want it to grab me and hold my attention until the ending. The only reason I read this novel so fast was because it was fairly short.

That being said I think it was entertaining, in the lightest, easy-reading kind of way. For sure almost everything has shades of a more clichéd and generic writing, (The closed-room murders, the sequential deaths of our characters, the wolf hiding among sheep) although to give Christie some credit, it was all probably new and exciting back in her days. So I’ll overlook it for now. Kinda.

I also raised my rating because I liked the characters, and I *specially* liked our dearly, trigger crazy villain.

All in all,it was a good book. Maybe not deserving of so many hype anymore,but I’m sure it made people go crazy back in 1939.

Sentence: Not as exciting as I expected it to be,but surely good enough to make me want to read more Agatha Christie.

You can also find this review at my blog :)